Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Day After the Election at Cafe 1923

Originally published in D-Tales here; edited and renamed for content.

...The morning after, I stopped at Cafe 1923 in Hamtramck (thank you Supergay for reminding me this place existed and for being patient with my dabble into politics), a completely fabulous place that is very new-Detroit trendy in that old-Detroit way (my double espresso con panna and Michigan Cherry Roast coffees were simply decadent), where we listened to NPR all morning and I learned that when Obama's victory was declared people poured out into the streets of Detroit to celebrate. You know, the way they usually only do when a sports team wins some big trophy thing. Yes, Detroit was nodded to in national news (specifically because of the concentrated African American population), and in a positive light no less...