Sunday, March 15, 2009

All the (Proof) You Need

Friday night I was at (Proof) Martini Lounge on Woodward celebrating my friend's birthday. I made a decision long ago to try a new martini every time I visit there, and so I am slowly but surely making my way through their extensive martini menu (I believe it's some 100+ martinis?). While the drinks aren't cheap--$8.00-$12.00 on average--they are tasty, and also rather pretty. Take for example the Bomb Pop Martini, the one that popped my (Proof) cherry back in '06. It looks and tastes like a bomb pop popsicle, with the liquors settling in layers that is a shame to mix (ah, but you must, unless you like mouthfuls of single flavors).

This time around I had the Pineapple Upside Down Cake--Stoli Vanil, pineapple juice, and grenadine with a cluster of pineapple and cherries on the rim--and the Detroit Lunch Box--vodka, beer, and a hint of tabasco sauce. The Pineapple Upside Down Cake was served with the grenadine at the bottom so the drink kind of looked like an (upside down) Upside Down Cake. (Again, you must stir it after the fact, but the presentation is worth it). The Detroit Lunch Box might sound disgusting but I assure you--it was like having your Bloody Mary with the chaser all at once. Surprisingly tasty, and the hint of tabasco really set it apart.

If you love martinis but don't love big bar tabs, come during happy hour on Mondays and Fridays. Fridays from 4:00PM-7:00PM enjoy half-off martinis, and Mondays enjoy half-off martinis and appetizers 4:00PM-midnight. At the very least, you'll get through the whole martini menu twice as fast!

(Proof) is also known as a hub for house music--trance, trip-hop, techno, and dance DJs spin all weekend, and there's usually no cover. It's a great place to dance as much as a great place to chill and enjoy an artful martini; a favorite Detroit hotspot.