Monday, October 20, 2008

Mercury Coffee Bar: Almost Open But Not Quite

Originally published in D-Tales here.

But it will be tomorrow! Swing by the new Mercury Coffee Bar in Corktown across from Slows tomorrow between 7:00AM and 10:00PM to check out what they have to offer. They were supposed to open today, or so methought, but I guess they got delayed because when I came in I got a big no-ah-ah. I did get a piece of coffee cake though. Little dry...

The floor is very, very pink. And it is so solid and smooth that it looks like it might suck you into all its pinkness. It almost has a hypnotic effect in that way...you're getting very, very pinky...come closer into the pink...a long time ago in a pink far, far away...

Remember that scene from Austin Powers? "Moley moley moley moley moley"??? Pink.

For the time being, it's cash only. They will eventually be serving beer and wine, and apparently there was an article about it but I don't read. Coffee beans are being sourced from Intelligentsia Coffee, award-winning bean importers and roasters based in Chicago. Ah, hello Chicago. Newman.

I think I will give it another go tomorrow. After that, my patience will have been exhausted, so here's hopin' they're open.